Cook time : 15 mins | Preparation : 30 mins | Serving : 8 persons | Course : dessert | Difficulty : Easy | Dietary : vegetarian
The Lunar festival or spring festival is celebrated around the world on the 12th of February. This festival features traditions that are very symbolic. One traditional sweet that will be incomplete to celebrate the Chinese new year is the sweet potato balls with sesame seeds also known as ‘gato zinzli’ in Mauritius.
500g sweet potatoes
400g glutinous rice flour
400g sesame seeds
1. Cook the sweet potatoes for 20 minutes. As soon as they are cooked, remove the skin and drain well.
3. Mash the sweet potatoes into a purée, add sugar, and the rice flour.
4. Knead the dough and add flour if needed until you obtain a non-sticky dough. If the dough is too dry, add a little water in a small amount.
5. Wet your hands lightly to form small balls. Then roll them in the sesame seeds.
7. Heat a wok with enough oil and add the sweet potato balls. Let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until golden brown.
8. Remove the fried balls and put them on a piece of cloth to retain the oil.
9. Serve hot or cold.