Cooking time: 15 mins | Preparation: 5 mins | Serving: 4 persons.
Salade Ourite, a perfectly fresh, healthy, and especially exquisite local dish. Due to its Meli Melo of cultures, Mauritius is home to various identity dishes, and Salade Ourite is considered by far as one of the local’s favorite.
Each family has its own recipe. One could add tomatoes, onions, green papaya, coriander, peppers/chili (of course)…
In short, everything that can be readily available in one's Kitchen. As for the vinaigrette, it's rather elementary: salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar.
Mixed by hand it will give way to a nice flavorish plate.
- Wash and clean the octopus.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil with the cinnamon sticks and a pinch of salt.
- Add the raw octopus in the boiling water for about 10 to 15 minutes. Check that it is not too hard before stopping the cooking and extend if necessary.
- Put the octopus under cold water. Clean it again and remove any unwanted gelatinous part.
- Cut the meat into 1 / 2-inch pieces. Finely chop the tomatoes, onions, scallions, and chili. Put everything in a salad bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper. Give it a stir.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and scallions.
- Let your octopus salad rest in the refrigerator, preferably for at least an hour. Serve chilled.
Best served with bread and white wine.